Registering Your Vehicle in Alabama

Here at South Jersey Auto Tags we help auto dealers in Alabama quickly get the registrations, tags, and titles they need in a timely manner to ensure that the sales process goes off without a hitch. We invite you to contact us or fill out our online quote form for fast service.

For Fast Service:

Mandatory Documentation with all transactions

  • Power of Attorney from the Customer to the dealership (if purchased from a dealership)
  • A valid Alabama Drivers License (This proves residency in the county where you are registering the vehicle)
  • Proof of valid Alabama Insurance
  • South Jersey Auto Tags Power of Attorney

Cars/Trucks/SUV’s/Mobile Homes/RV’s/Motorhomes/Modulars/Trailers

  • Vehicle Title filled out in the seller and buyer areas
  • Dealership Reassignment form (if applicable)
  • Current vehicle registration (if only transferring from out-of-state or a title is not required)
  • Recent Registration documents for the purchased vehicle
  • Bill of Sale (if purchasing from a dealership the bill of sale must me itemized with sales tax information.
  • License Plates (if you are transferring to the new vehicle)
  • Odometer Disclosure Statement (vehicles less than 10 years old and less than 16,000 lbs)
  • Power of Attorney form from leasing company allowing you to register the vehicle (for a leased vehicle)
  • A copy of the lease agreement for the vehicle (for leased vehicle)
  • Completed application for a lien release by the loan company stating that the vehicle has been paid in full (if applicable)

Utility Trailer Registration

  • Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin or Most Recent Certificate of Title, if available
  • Bill of Sale From Seller to New Buyer (Seller must provide make, model year and VIN as displayed on trailer)
  • Current Alabama Tag Registration In Seller’s Name


  • Bill of Sale from seller to new buyer
  • Previous owner’s registration
  • Completed application for boat registration, transfer and replacement.
  • Application for Sate Assigned HIN (for homemade watercrafts)
  • Document showing that your vessel has been inspected by the Marine Police, including the state-assigned hull identification number that was assigned to your vessel.
  • Statement prepared by owner stating that the vessel is homemade, the amount that was spent to build the vessel, the approximate date of completion, and the owner’s signature and current address.


  • Original title or signed registration documents.
  • Bill of sale
  • An old registration
  • Proof of motorcycle insurance
  • Registration
  • A completed vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection

ATV’s/Dirt Bikes

  • ATV/UTV Registration Form
  • Purchaser’s Certificate / Bill of Sale ((Seller’s and purchaser’s information must be shown along with a vehicle identification number))

Golf Carts/Low Speed Vehicle’s (LSV)

  • The completed Title application form
  • The Manufacture’s State of Origin/Certificate which includes the vehicle’s identification number (VIN)
  • Sales tax form
  • Certified safety certificate
  • Proof of liability insurance

Learn More

  • If you brought your out-of state car with you, you must have it registered in Alabama within 30 days of your move.
  • Alabama does not require emissions inspections to register your vehicle.
  • Members of any of the Armed Forces branches stationed in Alabama are not required to register their vehicle(s) with the Alabama Motor Vehicle Division as long as you have a current registration in your home state and valid insurance
  • RVs and motor homes are registered the same way as standard cars and trucks; the difference falls in the fees, which vary based on your motor home’s weight.
  • Boat trailers are not included in the definition of utility trailers and are not registered. The trailers must be privately owned and not operated for hire, lease or rental.

Exemptions :

  • Boat Trailers
  • Farm Trailers: Trailers used exclusively for transporting farm products to and from market or for transporting the personal property of the farmer for his own use on the farm.
  • Equipment Trailers: Trailers with permanent mounted equipment such as a crane or well-drilling equipment. Trailer is not equipped for hauling supplies.
  • Beginning July 1, 2009, utility trailers designed for pulling behind an automobile or pickup truck are exempt from the title law. Such trailers remain subject to registration fees and taxes.
  • Beginning January 1, 2012, semi-trailers, gooseneck trailers, recreational trailers and manufactured homes over 20 model years old are exempt from the title law. Currently all 1999 and prior year model trailers are exempt. Such trailers remain subject to registration fees and taxes.

Utility trailers required for registration include, but are not limited to, open trailer for commercial equipment or personal mowers or golf carts, horse trailer, enclosed auto transporter and tow dolly.

All vessels manufactured after 1972 are required by federal law to have a hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer.