Registering Your Vehicle in Alaska

Here at South Jersey Auto Tags we help auto dealers in Alaska quickly get the registrations, tags, and titles they need in a timely manner to ensure that the sales process goes off without a hitch. We invite you to contact us or fill out our online quote form for fast service.

For Fast Service:

Mandatory Documentation with all transactions

  • Power of Attorney from the Customer to the dealership (if purchased from a dealership)
  • A valid Alaska Driver’s License (This proves residency in the county where you are registering the vehicle)
  • Proof of valid Alaska Insurance
  • South Jersey Auto Tags Power of Attorney

Car’s/Trucks/SUV’s/Utility Trailers/Motorhomes/Mobile Homes/RV’s

  • Ownership Document(s) ~ Title, MCO* or other comparable document signed by both the seller and buyer
  • Odometer verification/Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form 839)
  • Completed Application for Title and Registration (Form 812)
  • Registration (When purchasing a used vehicle with Alaska plates) The Alaska Registration should be surrendered with the title if available.
  • Lien Release ((if applicable —  A lien release is required when a lien is showing on the MCO and has been paid.  A lien release is required when a title has a lienholder on it and you are requesting an Alaska title, regardless of whether the lien has been paid or not.  You may obtain a letter from the lienholder stating that the lien release is conditional on placing a new lien on the Alaska title.   Statements with a “paid” stamp are not acceptable.) )
  • Bill of Sale ((If purchased from a dealer the bill of sale must have itemized tax information))
  • Notarized Power of Attorney ((For all transactions when a person signed on behalf of the vehicle owner, including LEASED vehicles, using a power of attorney.  Recommended for other transactions, just in case there is a problem with the paperwork.))

Copies of the registrations for the vehicle the plate is being transferred from, as well as the one it is being transferred to or a letter that includes the serial numbers and descriptions of the vehicles ((if applicable))


  • Ownership Document(s) ~ Manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO), Carpenter’s Certificate, Title, or other comparable document signed by both the seller and buyer
  • Bill of Sale from previous owner or dealer
  • Registration
  • Previous state title or registration (if applicable)
  • Affidavit of Ownership (Form 848)
  • Boat Title and Registration Application (Form B1)

Snow Mobiles/Snow Machines/ATV’s

  • Title & Registration Application (Form 812)
  • Bill of Sale/Purchase Order
  • Warranty Card

Learn More

 As an Alaska resident when you purchase a vehicle, you are required to transfer the vehicle into your name within 30 days of the date of sale by obtaining an Alaska title.
When there is a title that is already in your name in another state, and the lienholder is holding the original title outside of Alaska, you will receive a ‘registration only’. You would just need to provide the registration or a photocopy of the title to show it is in your name in the other state.
The title must be properly released from the previous owner and assigned to the applicant.  A private individual cannot reassign a title until obtaining a title in their name.
Boats that REQUIRE registration in Alaska – powered boats, non powered boats w/ auxiliary power units, ALL sport fishing guide boats, powered tenders
Boats EXEMPT from Registration in Alaska – non-powered boats, non-boats, boats registered elsewhere, government owned boats, documented boats
Per Alaska law Snow Machines are required to be registered, unless they are operated solely on private property.
ATV’s CANNOT be modified to be street legal.

Per Alaska law ATVs are not required to be titled. “Registration Only” is issued.