Registering Your Vehicle in Indiana
Here at South Jersey Auto Tags we help auto dealers in Indiana quickly get the registrations, tags, and titles they need in a timely manner to ensure that the sales process goes off without a hitch. We invite you to contact us or fill out our online quote form for fast service.
For Fast Service:
Mandatory Documentation with all transactions
- Seller and Purchaser sections completely filled on the title
- Completed and Signed Vehicle Title or Notification from the Dealer
- Bill of Sale/Purchase Order
- Odometer Disclosure Statement – State Form 43230
- Physical Inspection Form – State Form 39530
- Proof of Identity
- Statement of Existing Lease Agreement – State Form 12787
- Proof of Insurance
- Emissions Test
- Power of attorney from customer to dealer (if applicable)
- Power of attorney from customer/dealer to South Jersey Auto Tags
- Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Paid – ST108 (if applicable)
Transfer of Out-of-State Title to Indiana
- Vehicle and Watercraft Title Application Packet provides a detailed list of the documents required to be submitted with the application. Prior to submitting each application, verify that all required information is included.
Odometer Disclosure Statement Only required if the odometer statement is not completed on the certificate of title or certificate of origin
Physical Inspection Form is Required for out-of-state vehicles when you are NOT bringing the vehicle to the branch OR when the VIN plate is not easily viewable/accessible.
Statement of Existing Lease Agreement is only required if the vehicle is a lease vehicle.
Emissions Test is only required by Lake and Porter counties.
VIN inspections on all vehicles and can be completed by any state police department
When you purchase a vehicle in Indiana, you must pay sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle.
If a vehicle is purchased from an Indiana dealership, the dealer will collect the sales tax and provide proof of the sales tax paid on an ST108 – Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Paid – State Form 48842.
If a vehicle is purchased privately, the sales tax must be paid at a branch when you apply for the Indiana certificate of title.
Indiana residents who purchased a vehicle from a state other than Indiana, including non-Indiana dealers, will receive credit for the sales tax paid in that state. If you paid less than the amount of sales tax Indiana would have assessed, you must pay the difference to Indiana at the time of the application for the Indiana certificate of title.
New Indiana residents are not charged sales tax when transferring their vehicle’s certificate of title from their prior state of residence to Indiana.